UPDATE as of 11/22/2020:
As of today we are still a tentative go for trainings at Land park Baseball fields every Tuesday/Thursday beginning with Dec. 1.
3:30 – 5:00
WHAT IS DIFFERENT FROM YEARS PAST:
- The COVID situation and resultant protocol. Until we are further advised we will adhere to the following:
- Pods of 12 kids, to remain with one another throughout the season or until the protocol is lifted.
- Pods will be assigned players by the coaches.
- Pods to keep their gear in close vicinity of the 11 others (note it is absolutely acceptable if you wish for your child to keep his/her gear in an isolated location) – we simply must limit pod interaction with other pods
- Temperature test every player before practice
- Players to wash hands just prior to stepping on the training field – Motley will provide some disinfectant but you are encouraged to bring your own.
- Pods to be at least 5 yards from all other pods.
- Limited to no contact – we will likely perform primarily ballhandling drills/kicking drills and fitness drills until the paradigm shifts.
- What you can do as a parent/guardian:
- Do not take your child to practice if he/she is not feeling well.
- Distance from other parents
- Drop off/pick up only – no people other than players are permitted on the pitch or sidelines
- Review and sign the Covid waiver document and provide to Motley administration before your child enters the pitch (first time only)
Please see attached the COVID prevention practice plan. Also please review the Covid waiver document.
- Although our annual dues are typically $200 we are limiting dues initially to $75 due to the possibility of the season being cut short (or not even commencing). The $75 covers our cost to USA Rugby and Rugby Norcal per player registered. We will ask for additional dues if/when the season progresses with the goal to collect the $200 prior to season end.
- RugbyNorcal has changed the registration process so that we now must go through Sport Lomo.
- Go to https://usarugby.sportlomo.com/
- Search by type: Youth and HS
- Search by region: Rugby NorCal
- Search by club name: select Land Park RFC – you will not find us under “Motley” since we’ve merged with Land Park Harlequins and McClatchy. We are still Motley, just not for registration purposes.
- For those who have already registered and paid $200, we will refund a proportionate amount should the season be cancelled.
The good news about SportLomo is that all returning Motley player information will be automatically uploaded to the Sport Lomo, relieving you of additional paperwork.
Where to find additional information: Land park rugby website (www.landparkrugby.com) and Land Park Rugby FB.
COVID MANAGERS: One person has volunteered so far but we need two more. Please email me if you are interested. Thank you!
JERSEYS: we are still missing upwards of 20 jerseys from last year and I am hopeful we will collect these when trainings commence. Typically we hand out jerseys, on loan for the season, at registration but we will likely hold off on the for now until the future becomes a little more clear. You may purchase both black socks and Motley shorts from our team moms. They may be at the trainings.
SEASON: Assuming this comes off our first games are the second weekend of January.
You may always email me, Coach Rich, with questions and I will do my best to answer them. Please be patient as the current situation is fluid and likely to change.
MOTLEY RUGBY SEASON 2020-2021:
- At this time we have a directive from Rugby Norcal that outlines formal rugby re opening December 12, 2020. We are permitted to hold training sessions earlier and are targeting Tuesday December 1 as our first informal session. We intend to hold December informal practices at Land Park Baseball fields every Tuesday/Thursday 3:30-5:00, migrating to Land Park Rugby and Soccer complex in January.
- The directive remains fluid…currently we are to manage the participants as such:
- Take players’ temperature prior to them stepping on the pitch (I suspect we take the coaches temps as well)
- Assign players to pods of no more than six. These pods remain together and effectively isolated from other pods at each and every practice.
- Youth and MS rugby seasons at this time remain consistent with those dates of years’ past: January through mid March.
- JERSEY COLLECTION: our collection efforts have been impacted by issues surrounding social gatherings presented by COVID. At this point in time we are targeting a Saturday in October/early November to collect jerseys. It will likely be at Doc Oliver or the Land Park baseball fields. More info to follow. I am hopeful all 80+ Motley players from last season have kept their jerseys and will be responsible in returning them. We do have a list of names and associated jersey numbers in order to track. Last season we needed to make an emergency $2,500 bulk jersey purchase as upwards of 40 jerseys went missing from the previous year.
- Motley have merged with CKM McClatchy Lions high school rugby club and Land Park Lady Harlequins rugby club. This is an effective way to pool resources and better serve all three clubs going forward. We are now Sacramento Rugby Union. The Motley name remains in place for youth/MS, and CKM Lions and Lady Harlequins names also remain.
- What this means: We now have more support, from the high school players to their parents to their administrators. We, in turn, must support them (give back). The high school season will not conflict with our season (they play mid March through May/June).
- It is envisioned that the additional resources will support us with field set up/tear down, post game function, recruiting, equipment sharing and other logistics. We will support them in the same manner. We also feel this is a great way for the Motley players to establish connections with the older players, particularly since Motley Alum graduate to traditionally play for both McClatchy and the Harlequins.
Thank you for your patience during this time. We will communicate any/all updates and revisions.
2021 RUGBY SEASON:
We are entering our 15th year and are one of the founding members of Middle School and Youth Rugby in the Sacramento area.
Upcoming Events – Practice begins Tuesday Dec. 1 2020 at the Land Park baseball fields between 15th Avenue and Land Park Dr., adjacent to Sacramento Zoo.
Practice will be held every Tuesday and Thursday in December at the baseball fields (see area outlined in red on the map below) until December 23. Break for Christmas, then practice continues in January every Tuesday and Thursday at the Land Park Rugby and Soccer complex, between Land Park Golf and Fairy Tale town. 3800 Land Park Drive.
Preseason matches begin Jan. 4 and will continue Jan. 11 and 18th.
The season officially begins Jan. 25 with the Annual Kick Off Tournament (KOT).
U 10s season typically concludes by the end of February; U12 season concludes a week after, and MS concludes mid March.
Practices every Tuesday and Thursday at our Land Park Pitch, located between Fairytale Town and Land Park Golf Course, beginning Jan. 5, 2021.
TIME: 3:30 to dark (approximately 5:00)
WHERE? Land Park Rugby and Soccer Complex (see area highlighted in red on the map below).
WHAT TO BRING? Mouthguard, cleats, rugby shorts, water, a few friends and a great attitude!
Registration– Online registration will open in November. Please check Registration Page for details.
Questions? Approach one of our many coaches. Parent volunteers will be available as well.
Dues: $200 per player – 20% discount on two or more players – we encourage you to pay online through SportsEngine, but accept cash, checks and credit cards as well.
Cost too high? We offer partial scholarships and payment plans. Please approach any of the coaches or team moms to discuss, in confidence.
Additional cost outlay:
Black Motley shorts, embroidered with Motley logo, cost $35. We have a limited supply of Motley shorts. You may purchase black rugby shorts at any soccer/rugby store (Kombat Sports in Land Park and Extreme Rugby and Soccer in Sacramento).
Black socks cost $5
Mouthguard approx. $10.
Please check this website or social media for updates: